Thursday, March 13, 2014

Baby Update

My appointment with MFM (Maternal Fetal Medicine) went well. They were very thorough, and also took a lot of time explaining everything to me. In fact, the appointment took around two hours. I don’t think I’ve ever had a doctor appointment that long before, but I’m glad it was. There was so much to go over!

Although the appointment went well, and I’m very satisfied with everything, there were definitely some parts I wish I could just put my head in the sand over.
Words like:

Yeah. I’m glad I’m well-informed, but I could go a lifetime with never hearing those words.

He agrees with our plan for a scheduled C-section. Honestly don’t remember if I told you guys that or not, but our regular Ob had already agreed that it was our safest options, considering the complications I had during labor & delivery with Jena. So we’re all on board there.

The biggest concern right now seems to be the baby’s size. Peanut is on track to be 11 lbs, which doesn’t surprise us at all, and we believe to be at least mostly genetic, but the doctors are concerned because of the what-ifs. Namely, what if the baby grows bigger than the placenta can support?

He said at the first sign that Peanut might be in distress because the placenta can no longer support her, we will immediately go for a C-section. As he said, we know babies cannot survive if the placenta cannot support them, but the NICU has very fine incubators.

I’m sure they do, but it’s still scary to think of.

They started me on meds for my GD (gestational diabetes). So far my numbers have come down, but not enough. I anticipate they will raise the dosage at my next appointment.

I am to begin kick counts twice a day immediately, fax my blood sugar numbers to them weekly, have an ultrasound scheduled for next week, and will begin NSTs (Non Stress Tests) no later than 32 weeks (three weeks from now). I also have at least one doctor appointment weekly, sometimes more than one.
On a less-medical-more-practical front, we still need to work on the nursery. Badly. I’ve sorted out everything that was in there, but need Jason to find some time to actually move the boxes for me, since I’m not supposed to lift. After going thru everything, eight of the boxes are headed straight to the trash. The rest we need to keep.

Once that stuff gets moved out we can clean everything really well, paint if needed, set up the crib, etc.

Unfortunately this comes at the time when Jason’s business is taking off for the season. I told him this morning we need to pick a day that is nursery work day. Nothing else (because there’s always something else). Hopefully if we do that we can knock out most (if not all) of it in one day and be done.

That's all for now. Thanks for checking in!


Marianne said...

Thanks for the update!

Melissa said...

Sounds like they're taking good care of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...